I used to be all stressed out. Work, family, college, running errands, getting the kids to school, etc. Why is it all on me? Hurry here…hurry there…no time for lunch. Worry about this, worry about that…ahhhhhh….I’m all stressed out.
Then I was talking to this wise old man, who also happened to be my Dad. This is what he taught me.
- Do not worry about something that is not in your direct control. If it is in your direct control, do something about it.
- Do not think about what other people say about you, they probably forgot about you already by now.
- If you don’t put yourself first, no one else will.
- When you reach the top with all the running around you do, look around, hopefully you aren’t all by yourself by stomping on other people to get to the top.
- 95% of what you worry about….never happens.
- Think “what if” and then think the worst that can happen is __________ fill in the blank. Is it as bad as you thought?
- When you walk toward someone be the first to smile & say hi…they are both free and it will make someone’s day. And if they don’t say hello first, they’ve missed an opportunity to know you. Don’t take it personally.
- Never say sorry for something you didn’t directly do.
- Do your research on things you don’t know to get the facts straight.
- The most precious thing you can give someone is your time.
In this time of uncertainty, I thought I’d share that with you. Stress and worry is non-productive and strips us of our happiness and well being. Dad also taught me, think of your mind like a radio, you have the power to turn it to the tune you like best. Anytime I start to get stressed out, I think about Dad’s words, then I touch my ears physically pulling my ear lobes mimicking radio dials and channel my thoughts to something happy. I don’t let stress and worry control me. Try it, you just may like the intrinsic power you have inside to beat stress and you may actually start humming a happy tune. Ever in a bad mood or worried? Start humming a tune. Try it…you can’t hum to yourself and be stressed at the same time. It will actually start soothing your nerves and you will start to relax.